Yesterday while running errands, I kept hearing the phrase "due to the economy". And I wondered if these people even know what they're talking about or is it just a buzz word (phrase) they've picked up from the evening news.
While dropping off some papers at the admissions office of a local college, the admissions director told me about the fee that will be due once daughter is accepted. He then elaborated on the fact that "due to the economy" if we didn't have the $150.00 we could pay any amount over $5.00 and then make payments as we could. He continued to stress how a lot of families don't have the extra money right now "due to the economy" and once again told me I could pay any amount over $5.00. He knows nothing of our financial situation...good, bad or ugly...yet felt the need to repeatedly tell me anything over $5.00 would be fine. Okay, I get it!
Son and I were looking for guitars at thrift shops. One woman suggested we check the local pawn shops because "due to the economy" people were hocking their wares instead of donating them to charitable organizations like her particular thrift store.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, WV's unemployment rate is lower now than it was this time last year. Gasoline prices have dropped dramatically since earlier this summer, which makes filling up my CUV a lot less painful. I may be ignorant but I don't see how WV is suffering any "due to the economy". If I'm missing something, enlighten me. If your state is truly feeling the effects "due to the economy" let me know. I'm sure folks in Michigan would have something to say.
1 comment:
Oh My Gosh! It's like the Soap Box on the Florida Orange Juice Commercial!
Post a Comment