Tuesday, May 15, 2007
No Bull!
And now for another cow story....actually it wasn't a cow but a 2000 (TWO THOUSAND) pound BULL! Have you ever seen one of these up close and personal??? Let me tell you, they're quite intimidating! Frank took me fishing one night last week to this little pond on an old farm. The rickety old house is still there with the porch sagging and the windows broken out. But I love it! I could just see the little robust farm wife with her full-length apron over her housedress and her hair pulled back in a bun out on the porch fussing at her little raggedy kids who are chasing each other and the chickens around the yard. And the farmer dad out at the barn working on his tractor with one or two of their older boys....a crop of corn growing across the house in the big field....and cows (and bulls) grazing idly in the field to the left....which is just above the little pond we were fishing at. I saw all of these cows and bulls idly grazing when we walked back to the pond. I mistakenly assumed they were all fenced in. (our neighbor now owns this land and has cattle on it) In my citified mind, I didn't realize, the little pond was where they quenched their thirst! So, we're standing there casting our lines into the pond and catching fish! Yeah! You really gotta be a bad fisherman NOT to catch fish out of this pond. And Frank casually says, "looks like we got company". I figured he meant the land owner but when I looked up, there was the TWO THOUSAND pound bull coming towards us. Scared me to death! I haven't had experience with cows coming towards me, only with cows running away from me. And this was a big cow! Did I say he was about 2000 pounds????? By now I'm trying to plan my escape...Bull is blocking the way we came in and there's woods and fence on the other side. And I'm wondering how deep the pond is and if the bull would follow me if I jumped in and which would be worse....drowning or getting killed by the bull. Then my Dear Hubby says "wonder if this is the ornery bull Mike was telling me about?" I didn't want to find out if this was the ornery bull or the well-behaved bull. I just wanted one of us to leave. And since Frank wasn't putting down his pole, it looked like it was gonna have to be the bull. We scooted on around to the other side of the pond, so Bull could drink freely. And boy did he make some weird noises. It sounded like he was snorting and getting ready to attack something (me????) but what he was really doing was blowing the stuff off the top of the water with his nose so he could drink clear water. After he satisifed his thirst, he just stood there and watched us for the longest time. And I kept fishing with one eye on him and one on the tree that was behind me. It's been awhile since I climbed a tree but I was thinking I could do it if I was "encouraged", ya know what I mean??? Finally, he lumbered back up the hill and out of sight. We kept fishing and I kept watching for him. After all, he snuck up on me the first time. But we didn't see him again. Right about dark, we reeled in our poles and headed home. Just another adventure in the life of a country wife!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad the bull was well-behaved that day :)
Post a Comment