Sunday, February 1, 2009

Just Ask!

We've been having washing machine woes since October. That's when my trusty 14 year old Maytag died. We were left to purchase a new washing machine. Have you looked at what's out there these days??? Some of them cost more than a car! And they have as many bells and whistles too. We figured our best bet was to stick with what had worked in the past. A basic top-load Maytag. We found a current version of our old machine and at a great price. We were happy! Until....it started leaking shortly after we brought it home. The repairmen have been out three times. They've replaced the sensor panel and the transmission. Neither of which solved the problem. The repairman that came this week was at a loss as to what to do next. He "modified" the machine to redirect the water flow. And then ordered yet another part. A part to replace the one he just modified (he may have used his pocket knife, I'm not sure). He called the home office to get some input as to what could be the problem. Their advice to me was to wash smaller loads of laundry until the weather warms up because it's probably too cold in my breezeway (66 degrees) for the machine to function properly. Not a satisfactory answer! I decided to call the store we purchased it from. I spoke with one of the managers and told him the short version of what was going on. He told me to bring it back for a refund. Yay! Happy again. Until...until I realize I now have to purchase a new machine. The in-depth homework began. I looked at consumer reports. I read hundreds of reviews on-line. And finally decided on a new washer AND dryer by LG! So, here's where the "Just Ask" part comes in. When something isn't satisfactory, just ask if there are other options. The repairman told me there wasn't anything he could do. I was told previously that I couldn't return the machine to the store but had to go through the service company. But I asked and was able to return the machine and get a full refund. When I went to purchase the new machine. I decided to go ahead and get a new dishwasher as well (we'd been looking for awhile). So, I asked the salesman if there would be any additional discounts available for the multiple appliance purchase. He said there wouldn't be for that reason, but that particular store does price match and he was pretty sure he could find the washer/dryer set cheaper at one of their competitors web sites and he would be able to give me the additional discount from that. As well as the 10% price match guarantee. Again, ask! Asking, saved me an additional $50.00+ that time.

Now, what to do with the old dryer and dishwasher that still works? I decided to post them on freecycle.com. Literally, within 2 minutes of it being posted, I had multiple inquiries. And within an hour both pieces were picked up and taken away by two different families. Ask!

I'm loving my new LG washer/dryer. We won't get the dishwasher until Tuesday. The store had to order it because I asked for a color that wasn't readily available.

I don't know if I'm getting bolder about asking for what I want because I'm getting older or what. But I'm learning to not be satisified with the status quo. I've had enough of that. I want quality, richness, fullness and satisfaction in all areas of my life. I want to know that what's in my life is there because I want it to be there. Not because it's what someone else thinks I should have. Just ask!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh my! I'm so glad you got it all straightened out. :)