I've lived in WV for 3 1/2 years now. Yet I still see things that make me shake my head in wonder.
Today, I saw that a big, beautiful red squirrel had been hit by a car and was lying in the road near my driveway.
Much later this afternoon, I saw a man in a jeep cherokee drive by and look at the squirrel in the other lane. He continued down the road a short distance. Then he stopped his vehicle, put it in reverse and backed up alongside the poor deceased. Much to my shock, although, I'm not sure why I was shocked, he opened his jeep door, picked up the squirrel and placed it on the floor of his vehicle by his feet. He then, shut the door and drove off.
Even Frank was a bit taken aback. I'm thankful the poor squirrel didn't lay there and get squished all over the snowy road. But it leads me to wonder why the man took the squirrel home. What did he see in this piece of roadkill that was so appealing. Was it the red bushy tail? Was it the little squirrel hands stuck frozen in midair??? Was it his rotund little body that appealed to the man??? Is the poor little squirrel a prized specimen bound to be stuffed and mounted for the man's friends to oooh and aaaah over??? More than likely, the poor little squirrel was the man's dinner. I've learned a thing or two about squirrels and gravy and such. But that's a story for another day. Wherever you are little squirrel, rest in peas. I mean peace. Rest in peace, little squirrel. Rest in peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment