I saw it happening right in front of my eyes but my brain wasn't registering it. My brain knew that it wasn't right. My brain knew that the little Ford Ranger cutting in front of the 18 wheeler wasn't a good thing. And it wasn't! The Big truck t-boned (pork-chopped) the little truck and flipped it over. Glass shattered, the frame bent. There was a moment of Oh, Crap! Son immediately started to leap out of our vehicle to run to the turned over truck but I stopped him. I didn't know what he might find. Besides, there were other adults running to the scene. So, we stayed in our vehicle with our front-row view and called 911. Within moments they had the two teens that were in the Ranger freed. They both had their cell phones and appeared to be calling their friends...the girl was giggly at all the attention. They both sat in the back of the police car until the ambulance arrived. She had minor cuts; he didn't appear to be injured. I'm not sure who was driving.
I feel bad for the Big truck driver. He didn't do anything wrong. He didn't even have a chance to slow down. I wonder if he'll have nightmares. I bet it traumatized him more than the kids. They just seemed to have a lacadaisical attitude about the whole thing. The boy seemed more shaken up than the girl, though. They appeared to be brother/sister, not boyfriend/girlfriend. I wonder who's truck it is/was???
As a human, watching it happen was frightening. As a Mama, seeing those kids crawl out of that truck was terrifying. Such a stupid risk! Guess it's true that a person's reasoning skills aren't fully developed until they're about 25 years old.
Are you wondering why I used the term "pork-chopped"? I tend to get unfamiliar phrases mixed up. One day when we were watching NASCAR, there was a wreck. And I yelled out "He got pork-chopped!" I had heard Frank use the term "t-boned" before but had never used it myself...until that day...but then it came out as "pork-chopped" instead.
In any case, I hope the kids learned a lesson. Thankfully, they weren't seriously injured. I pray the truck driver is ok too. And I pray that my son and his friend, who was with us, learned a valuable lesson from someone else's mistake.
Remember, I'm a vegetarian. I don't like pork-chops or t-bones! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment