Thursday, June 17, 2010

Common Thread...I mean Yarn


I drove 2 hours yesterday to attend a World Wide Knit in Public Day Event. The event was to be held in Milton, WV near Charleston at the library. I was expecting a big crowd, banners...basically a knitting party.

I found the small town of Milton. Then I found the library. No banners. No party. Just one woman in a lawn chair knitting away. Oh boy! I thought.

I considered driving past and calling it a bust. Instead I parked, grabbed my knitting basket and walked up to the lone woman.


We talked and knitted for an hour. Lynn works at the library, has two sons...one in the Army, the other is a chef. Besides working at the library, she transports dogs for dog rescue organizations and she loves to knit!


The librarian, Georgina, came out the second hour while Lynn went to lunch. She and I knitted and chatted for an hour. She's originally from Johnstown, PA. She met her hubby (who's from WV) while she was in the Peace Corp back in the 70's in Swaziland, Africa. The young girl I sponsor through World Vision is from Swaziland. I got a lot of info about the culture and some ideas for gifts to send Nontokozo. It was a very interesting conversation. And, of course, Georgina loves to knit.



After leaving the library, I stopped at the Kanawha City Yarn Company in Charleston. There I met, Sarah, the owner and operator of the yarn store. It's a beautiful, roomy shop filled with yarn of all colors of the rainbow. We spent a some time chatting while I browsed (and shopped).

It was a long drive and most people think I'm crazy for running after knitting events. But it was worth it to meet these three interesting women that I normally wouldn't have met.

Knitting brings people together....rich, poor, young, old...it doesn't matter. Once you're together with some yarn on your lap and needles in your hands, all barriers are gone. You're just people with a common thread...uh, I mean yarn...knitting.

No comments: