Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Space

No, I'm not talking about the social networking site. I'm talking about the little cubby of a space tucked back into the front of our house facing the road. No one really notices this space because it's so unobtrusive. But I know it's there. And knowing it is there is part of it's charm for me. Because it's MY space. In this little niche is two huge cabinets. One is filled with our holiday decorations. Not just Christmas decorations but Easter, Thanksgiving, birthday, etc. It's full of the fun stuff! The other huge cabinet is full of my fun stuff...craft supplies! I could open my own craft store from what's in that cabinet. I have every department covered. There's tons of fabric because I love fabric! There's a box of sewing patterns. There's a couple containers of vintage buttons. There's three sewing machines. Yes, I said three. Don't judge! There's rubber stamping supplies. Lots of beads and findings to make jewelry. There's boxes with ribbon and trims. And there's all of my scrapbooking supplies. There's also other things like ModPodge, which is a staple in any crafty girls cabinet. Those are just some of the things in Big Cabinet #2.

On the walls are miniature quilts. Most of them I've made. They hold memories of former times and friends from other places. One quilt in particular has extra special memories. A few years ago our family had to evacuate our home in Florida because of hurricanes. We took several of our military friends with us to Georgia. We spent a week there in a hotel. Three of us bought some fabric and made quilt blocks then traded with each other. So that each of us has a block from the other two. When I look at that small quilt I remember Shannon and Brenda and those crazy days in a Georgia hotel and the fun we had sewing.

Also tucked back into My Space are two bookshelves, which hold all the crafting books. Books on quilting and knitting and crochet. Jewelry making and ribbon embroidery. I also have books on homemaking, gardening and interior decorating. And, of course, there are my precious floral design books.

My "good" sewing machine rests atop a small vintage formica table. If you watch Everybody Loves Raymond you can see a similar one in his parents house. Beside the small table is a larger formica table. Also seen in Raymond's parent's house. On top of this table rests my bible collection. Yes, I have a wide variety of bibles. Don't they all say the same thing???? Yes, the message is the same. But it's said in different ways. Some are easier to understand. Just depends on what mood I'm in whether I want to read the standard King James Version or if I want a lighter version like The Message.

In any case, this space-My Space, is very special to me. It embodies who I am. A crafter, a homemaker, a Christian, not necessarily in that order.

I don't get to spend enough time in there. And all too often it gets piled up with junk. But I've noticed when I keep that area clean and neat and spend some time there, the rest of my life feels orderly too. Guess you know where you can find me today. I'll be in My Space.

No comments: