Thursday, January 2, 2014

Eve was Deceived...or was She?

Today I read about Eve and her encounter with the serpent.  I was trying to get in her head and imagine what she must have been thinking.  Perhaps it was something like this...."hhhmmm?  The tree is beneficial?  God wouldn't want me to not have the best things in life.  Maybe I should go ahead and eat it. There's no obvious reason why I shouldn't eat of this tree.  What could it hurt?" 

We all know what it hurt. 

How often do we do the same thing?  God distinctly tells us to do a thing or to NOT do a thing.  And in our human brain we start reasoning it out.  And sometimes there's not an obvious reason for it.  It doesn't make sense or it makes perfect sense to do this thing that God told us not to do.  We think we see more benefits than harm.  We may not see any harm.  But God sees ALL!  He sees the beginning from the end.  He is the Alpha and the Omega.

So, was Eve deceived?  Or did she do like most of us and just reasoned it out in her own mind?  Either way, she was wrong.  She was disobedient.  Not only was she disobedient to the Lord, she was disobedient to her husband.

What's worse, she caused her husband to be disobedient to the Lord too.  I know he's responsible for his own actions.  But we all know what kind of influence we have on our men. 

The moral of the story? 

1)  Listen to the Lord.  Even if it doesn't make sense to us.  Just be obedient.
2)  Be submissive to our husbands.  We have to trust that what they say is for our benefit.
3)  Be careful how we're swaying our husbands.  We don't want to be responsible for causing them to stray  from the Lord.

No comments: