Genesis 6:6 says the Lord was sorry he had ever made man. The KJV says "it grieved Him at His heart". Very sad. Why? What had happened? Just a few chapters before God had created the heavens and the earth and everything in them. And it was good! So what happened? Genesis 6:5 tells us the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually". The NIV says it this way "The Lord
observed the extent of human wickedness on the earth, and he saw that
everything they thought or imagined was consistently and totally evil. So the Lord was sorry he had ever made them and put them on the earth. It broke his heart." Again, very sad. This broken heartedness led to what happened next. Verse 7 "And the Lord
said, “I will wipe this human race I have created from the face of the
earth. Yes, and I will destroy every living thing—all the people, the
large animals, the small animals that scurry along the ground, and even
the birds of the sky. I am sorry I ever made them." Only Noah found favor in God's sight.
You know the story. Noah, his three sons, their wives and Noah's wife are all that were saved, along with some of the animals. After the flood God told Noah and his sons "to be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth" (Genesis 9:1) God also made a promise with Noah to never destroy the earth again with a flood. In the same chapter, verse 13 God says "I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth."
But what if we didn't have a rainbow covenant? Would the earth still be here? Have you ever wondered what God thinks about the earth today? How does it compare to the earth before the Flood? Has God's heart been broken again? Just something to think about.

No comments:
Post a Comment