Wednesday, November 28, 2007

My Many Aprons


This time of the year I start baking more and baking makes me think about aprons. There's just something about putting on an apron that makes me feel empowered not suppressed like some women's lib groups would lead us to believe. I wore a heavy, sturdy apron this summer as I canned tomatoes and made apple sauce. Wearing an apron makes me feel connected to the women who have gone before me. Cooking, baking, tending children and doing laundry in their ever-present apron.
I love vintage aprons and you can see a few from my collection above. They vary from thin wispy material with hand-embroidered designs to sturdy full-body aprons meant for a good day's work. But my favorite aprons are the ones my grandmother wore.
There are now several books out on the topic of aprons and there's also a travelling apron exhibit. If the exhibit ever gets to the east coast again, I wanna go see it. Aprons tell a story and the aprons in the exhibit tell their stories too... whether they're laundry day aprons with big pockets to hold clothes pins or frilly aprons a hostess would wear over her good dress.

While visiting my friend, Shannon, in New Jersey, I got to see her apron collection. She has the same feelings toward aprons as I do.
So, when you get a chance, tie one on and see how much you get done. Feel the magic of wearing an apron!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I love your collection! They are very beautiful. Your post is so true. Thats why I love wearing my aprons.

~JESSI~ said...

I like wearing aprons and nothing else!