I don't like alarm clocks. I don't like the loud screechy ones. I don't like the loud squawky ones. I don't like the soft chirpy ones. I just don't like alarm clocks. Actually, I don't like to be woke up by an alarm clock or anything/anyone else. I much prefer to wake up with the kiss of God on my cheek as the sunlight streams through the blinds and He whispers "Wake Up, Sweetheart! I have a wonderful day planned for you!" That's how I prefer to wake up.
I don't remember, but I imagine, I wasn't an easy child to get up for school. I do remember that I didn't like to get up to go to work for my first job (I was 18 years old). I'm naturally a night person, stay up late and sleep in! A combination that doesn't go well when you're employed.
My alarm clock would go off and I would hit the button to turn it OFF. Not snooze. But off! Shortly after that, my grandma would fling my bedroom door open and tell me in her soft voice that I needed to get up. It wasn't her soft voice that got me. It was when she flung the bedroom door open that scared me to death. So, I started locking the door. That led her to her knocking (persistently) to get me up. She was only looking out for me and didn't want me to be late. I'm sure I scared her to death, knowing I would be pushing the limits of law and nature by trying to squeeze a 15 minute drive to work into 10 minutes or less. It's only by the grace of God I never had an accident on the way to work. How He kept the 4 wheels of my Chevette from flying off these curvy mountain roads is beyond me.
All of this has come to mind lately because my daughter is in that place now. Even though, she's just 16, she has her first job. And she got her driver's license yesterday. And I'm scared to death, she'll try to squeeze a 10 minute drive to work into 5 minutes or less. You see, she hates alarm clocks, is a night person and likes to sleep in late. She prefers to wake up with the kiss of God on her cheek.
So, what's a mom to do? I guess what I have to do is what my grandma must have done for me. PRAY! ALOT! And trust God to do the rest. Even though, Amber and I are very similar in a lot of ways. She's a much different person at this age than I was. She's more responsible, she has more common sense and she has wisdom that belies her age.
And should she have a day when she's running extremely late for work, I'll do what my Grandma couldn't. I'll drive her to work myself! Problem solved!
No comments:
Post a Comment