During my 11 years of home-schooling, it never once crossed my mind that my child would be discriminated against in the job market because she's home-schooled. The employer actually said to her that she's "concerned about her people skills" because she's home-schooled. Anyone who knows my daughter knows she is NOT lacking in "people skills". If the employer didn't want to hire her because of lack of experience, fine! If she didn't want to hire her because she wasn't qualified, fine! But don't discount my kid because of some pre-conceived notion you have of a socially inept, kept-behind-closed-doors, locked-away-from-the-real-world, tv-tabloid home-school kid!! I can assure you my daughter is one of the most responsible, out-going, mature kids I know. And any employer would be glad they hired her. I have no doubt!
Oh, by the way, we don't know if she got the job or not. She should be hearing something soon. It just irritates me that people are so close-minded and hung up on their prejudices. And, yes, it is a prejudice. So, get out of your cookie cutter world and open your eyes!
No comments:
Post a Comment