I'm just about ready to scream! But I decided to take my frustration out on my poor blog instead.
Last summer (2006) when we remodeled the kitchen, we installed an over-the-range microwave. The microwave was purchased at Home Depot and was made by Magic Chef. We were told that Magic Chef is a division of Maytag. No worries! Maytag is a highly reputable company.
Fast forward to last week. The bulb under the microwave that shines down on the stove-top blew. After that happened, the microwave would no longer work. I dug out my receipt and paperwork and sure enough it was just past the warranty period by a couple of months. I called Home Depot and they said unless I bought the extended warranty, I would have to call the 800 number in the owner's manual to schedule a repairman to come out. GGGGGrrrrrr!!
Anyway, called to schedule the repairman. He was supposed to be here Tuesday between 8-noon. The company called Monday and said the repairman's vehicle was broken down and he wouldn't be able to come until Thursday between 8-noon. Ok. No problem. The company called Wednesday and said it would be between noon and 3 o'clock before he could come. Deep breath, ok, still no problem. Thursday morning the repairman called twice. Once to verify directions and confirm the time...he pinned down a specific hour he would be here. Five minutes later, he called back and said it would be another hour or so. GGGGGGGrrrrr!! Again, deep breath. No problem!
The funny thing is, when he called, Amber answered the phone and said it was someone named "Amy" from the repair company. "Amy" had a very deep voice. But as Amber said, this is WV!
When the repairman called the second time, it did indeed sound like he/she said this is "Amy". So, by this time, we're envisioning someone like a chick truck-driver with big muscles and possibly a mustache.
The repairman did show up at the appointed time.... a guy repairman with a mustache and beard. We're thinking his mama played a really cruel joke naming him "Amy".
He was there just a few minutes and had diagnosed the problem. We needed a new circuit board. He called the company to order the part and was told that they don't work on that brand of microwave! He couldn't believe that! So, he called his boss. His boss confirmed that they indeed, DO NOT work on my brand of microwave. You'd think the call center would have known that before they sent him to my house. They had the model number and the seriel number and the brand name when I made the appointment! So, "Amy" calls a few more people trying to figure out what to do. They tell him to give me an 800 number that I have to call MYSELF and order the part MYSELF and then find a repairman MYSELF to come install the new part that I have to pay for MYSELF! I'm not a happy camper by this point. But I'm holding the scream in and thinking that if "Amy" thinks he's getting the $60.00 service fee he's supposed to charge me, he's out of his mind. I guess he realized that wouldn't be a good ideato do that and tells me there won't be a charge. He apologizes. He's worked for the company for 17 years and has not seen anything like this. He's not even seen a microwave die of such a young age. So, he leaves. And I call Home Depot, thinking there must be something they can do. I talk with the manager directly and tell him what's been going on. I'm kind, I'm polite. I love Home Depot. They've always had great service. But he pretty much told me I'm just out of luck. He did offer two suggestions. 1) I could buy a new microwave from him with a 10% discount or 2) I could call Maytag and beg for a credit towards a new microwave. Neither option appealed to me. So, I turned to the 800 number "amy" had left for me. It was the number directly to Magic Chef. I talked to a guy and he connected me to someone else and I got their voice mail! GGGGGRRRRRrrrr! I left a message and tried the Maytag number. After speaking with Carolyn at Maytag, I found out that all Magic Chef products are NOT made by Maytag. Magic Chef lends their name to several companies. The company that made my microwave is called MCD. Anyone ever hear of MCD???? Not me! Now I understand why it broke in the first place! Carolyn was kind and referred me to the Magic Chef 800 number. So, I called again! I wanted to talk to a person not a voice mail. I almost felt sorry for the guy that answered the phone. I told him what was going on...the run around game I was playing and in a very soft voice let him know that I am not a Happy Camper and would appreciate any help he could give me. I think it was the soft voice instead of ranting and raving that got his attention. In any case, he immediately and generously offered to send me the part for free and explained how easy it is to install...I can do it MYSELF!
As for "Amy", turns out he wasn't saying "Amy" at all. He was saying "A&E" really, really fast.
2 comments:
There's a great website: gethuman.com that tells you how to bypass the "touch " for" prompts. Unfortunately, it does not list Magic Chef.
Thanks for the website tip. I'll save it for future reference. Hopefully, I'll never have to call Magic Chef again!
Post a Comment