Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Relationship Ramblings

What is the value of a relationship? Are relationships even necessary in this life? I say Absolutely! God created us to be relational beings. We need each other and we need Him. There are various types of relationships. Some are given to us at birth...parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins. Some are made of our own choosing...spouses, friends, acquaintances, mentors. Each person that crosses our path has value. The depth of that relationship is determined by us. The value of that relationship is determined by us. I have met many people over the years being a military wife. Most were casual acquaintances. But a treasured few have become priceless gifts. These are the people in my life who have been faithful to me and my family. Through good times and bad times. I know I can count on them. And even though they're scattered all over the country (and Korea), if I needed them, they would do all in their power to be here for me. I have no doubt about that. Just as I would be there for them.

I remember the first time one of these people showed me what it's like to have/be a true friend. I was a fairly young adult and hadn't yet made many friends. But this person was different. She was bold. And she taught me the value of friendship. She taught me that I didn't have to be perfect for her to stay my friend. That even when I did something that hurt her, she valued our budding friendship enough, to talk to me about it, so we could work things out. Turns out it was a simple misunderstanding but if left alone, could have ended our friendship. That was 12 years ago and we're still great friends! Confrontation is not fun! Not fun to initiate or to be on the receiving end of. But it's often necessary for a relationship to survive. Confrontation was something new to me. I grew up with the idea that if someone made you mad, you were done with them. The same thing was true if you made someone mad....they were done with you. I'm glad my friend taught me that relationships aren't disposable.

I've said this before, maybe not on this blog, but God has blessed me with the most amazing women in my life. They are all so different and are in different places in their lives. But they're all so special. And I've learned many things from all of them.

When my kids were little, some new people moved in next door to our base housing. It didn't take long for me to realize, there was a new friendship in the works. Within a few days of moving in, I received a note from her thanking me for the friendship bread I had given her. But she had also written Proverbs 27:10 in the card. It says "Better is a neighbor that is near than a brother far off." And being in the military, this verse was very relevant. I knew she was going to be someone I could count on. She was the one I ran to when I got the news my father-in-law suddenly passed away. And I was the one she ran to when her baby swallowed a penny. And that note card? I still have it on my desk. That was 1997 when our friendship began. And she's still the one I often run to for advice.

God has brought a new friend to my life since moving to WV. She's been through some tough stuff in the last year or so. And she has quite the story to tell. At one point, the doctors told her they'd have to remove her tongue and vocal chords for her to survive the cancer. But through prayer, medical advances and an old-fashioned miracle, she's healed and still has her tongue and vocal chords! I don't know what God has for this new friendship. I don't know if we'll be best buds one day or we're just meant to join forces on this new Prayer Shawl Ministry she's started. Either way, I'm looking forward to getting to know her better.

So, are relationships worth it? Are they worth the time and effort? Are they worth the risk of rejection and hurt? Again, I say, Absolutely! The benefits far out-weigh the risks.

No comments: